Year 5 team
Class teachers - Mrs Sarah Dennis in Beijing class and Mr Trevor Gregory in Rome class
LSAs /1:1 - Mrs Jo T-G, Mrs Tyrie, Mrs Penwell and Mrs Julie Lee
Welcome back to Year 5 Autumn 2
We hope that you have had a fantastic half-term break
Things you need to know about our classes –
- The class teachers are Mr Trevor Gregory and Mrs Sarah Dennis. We are supported for many sessions by Mrs Tyrie, Mrs T-G, Mrs Lee and Mrs Penwell (LSA – Learning support assistant)
- We have indoor PE: Rome class on Wednesday afternoon, Beijing Class on Friday morning
- We have Outdoor PE on Monday afternoons
- You need to have correct outdoor PE kit including trainers.
- We have Forest school on Tuesday morning first thing so please remember to leave your kit in school.
- On Monday we go to the school library – don’t forget to bring in your library book on this day
- Students, please bring your good manners, smiles, a thirst for learning and ‘a give it a go attitude’ every dayJ.
- Home/school diaries need to be in school every day in order to record daily reading. The name of the book and the pages read should be recorded each time. They will be checked every Monday; please ensure that the diary is signed.
In Year 5, we expect students to read at least five times a week and to learn the set spellings and tables ready for a test. Maths homework will be set each Thursday and is due in for marking on Monday (Mrs Dennis’s group) or Tuesday morning (Mr Gregory’s group). SPAG.com homework will be set on a Wednesday and should be completed by the following Tuesday. Reading comprehension homework is set on a Friday and due back the following Thursday. If homework is not completed your child will be required to complete the work during lunchtimes on Wednesday in our homework club.
To support our topics, there will be a range of optional homework tasks that can be completed each half term. These tasks will be celebrated within the year group and rewarded with dojo points, power points, etc.
The topic this term is ‘Bake-it’ and will involve some baking both at school and home. The main focus for the topic is how materials change during heating, cooling and freezing. We will be tasting different types of bread and food items please inform us if your child should not take part in this for allergy reasons.
Year 5 Team