Dear Parents / Carers,
Over the next 8 weeks, Year 2 will be following a unit of work on a theme that focuses on ‘Pirates’. This unit of work is part of the International Primary Curriculum.
This unit of work is part of the International Primary Curriculum.
Each unit of work is based around specific targets derived from the learning goals for one or more of the subjects.
During this unit we will be focusing on Geography, Art, Technology, Music, PE and International.
In Geography, we’ll be finding out:
· About the islands that you find around the world
· About the names of places that pirates travelled
· About the islands that make up the UK and other locations, and the different features you see there
· About the weather and climate in different places that pirates visited
· About how pirates navigated around the world
· How to plan a pirate island
· How to give directions using a map
In Art, we’ll be finding out:
· About different coin designs
· How to design, create and evaluate our own pirate coins
· How to design, create and evaluate a treasure chest
In Music, we’ll be finding out:
· How to sing pirate songs
· How to compose and play music inspired by pirates and the sea
· How to listen to, and evaluate music we have made
In Technology, we’ll be finding out:
· About the foods pirates ate
· About where food comes from in the world
· About a healthy diet
· How to plan a pirate packed lunch
In International, we’ll be finding out:
· About rules that pirates followed
· About the roles and responsibilities pirates had on board
· How to stay safe near the water
In Physical Education, we’ll be finding out:
· About how to play pirate games in teams
· About how to create a pirate-inspired dance
· How to participate in team games, using skills such as throwing and catching
All of the work we are going to do has been specially written to help your child reach the learning goals. Children will be reading, researching, writing, illustrating, working on their own, in pairs and in groups. We will be checking to see how well your child has learned through particular activities and asking children to explain their work, perhaps to you.
We already know the interest you take in your child’s work. If you can, please discuss with your child the work they are doing as the term progresses and let them teach you.
Talk with your child about pirates. What pirate facts do you know? Together, find out about pirates of the past.
If you have any comments or questions about your child's learning, please get in touch.
Reading mornings will be on Tuesdays 8:40am-8:55am. You are welcome to come into the class to read with your child. We would like to encourage the children to change their own books during the school day to promote independence. Please record all of your child’s reading in their Home/School Diary. It is so important that your child reads frequently in order to make good progress. This can be done by an adult or by the child as they become more independent.
The children will visit the school library on a Tuesday and may choose a book to take home to read. Please send library books to school on a Tuesday for changing.
Outdoor PE will be on Thursday and indoor PE on Tuesday. We are sometimes lucky to have additional taster sessions or sports coaches in school on different days and so ask that PE kits be kept in school all week.
The children will need:
· White or red T-shirt
· Black shorts
· Black or white plimsolls for indoor PE
· Tracksuit and trainers for outdoor use in cold weather (Slogans, football club affiliations or ‘designer labels’ are not permitted)
Earrings should not be worn on PE days or they should be removed or taped by the child before the lesson. Long hair should be tied back.
Homework books will be given out on Wednesday 18th September with the first piece of homework.
Spelling books will be given out on Wednesday 25th September with the first five spellings to learn.
Times table books will be given out on Monday 30th September.
If you have any comments or questions about your child’s learning, please get in touch. We look forward to working with you and your child.
Mr G Russell, Miss S Peers, Mrs T Anderson, Miss R Zeolla and Mrs C Taylor
Year 2 team.