Dear Parents / Carers,
In the first half of term 6 the children in Year 2 will be following a unit of work on a theme that focuses on ‘Habitats’.
During this unit we will be focusing on Science, Technology and International.
In Science, we’ll be ﬁnding out:
• About the plants and animals living in forests and other habitats.
• About different types of trees.
• How to sort living things into different groups.
• What a micro-habitat is and what creatures live there.
• How animals are adapted to their environment.
• How living things depend on each other.
In Technology, we’ll be ﬁnding out:
• How to make a habitat and nesting box for a creature.
In International, we’ll be ﬁnding out:
• About the loss of the world’s forest habitats.
• How we can help our planet.
All of the work we are going to do has been specially written to help your child reach the learning goals. Children will be reading, researching, writing, illustrating, working on their own and working in groups. We will be checking to see how well your child has learned through particular activities and asking children to explain their work.
We already know the interest you take in your child’s work. If you can, please discuss with your child the work they have done as the term progresses and let them teach you.
Talk with your child about the wildlife that can be found in your local area. Go on a nature walk and try to identify and name as many different plants and animals as you can. Then try to ﬁnd out how they grow.
By the end of the unit, we hope your child has achieved all of the learning targets. We hope they have had an enjoyable time in the classroom. And we hope you have enjoyed seeing your child work with enthusiasm.
If you have any comments or questions about your child's learning, please get in touch.
Year 2 team.