Over the next 6 weeks the children in Year 2 will be following the unit of work ‘From A to B’ on a theme which focuses on transport and travel.
The unit of work is based around speciﬁc targets derived from the learning goals for the following subjects:
In Geography, we’ll be finding out:
• How we travel to school
• How to make maps to record our journey to school
• How we can travel to different countries
In Science, we’ll be finding out:
• How to make our own sailboats.
• How to make our own aeroplanes.
In Technology, we’ll be finding out:
• How to make a ‘vehicle’ to transport a small toy from one place to another
• How to make plans for vehicles.
• How to test our vehicles to see how well they work.
In Music, we’ll be finding out:
• About the sounds different types of transport make
• How to create our own ‘sound journey’
In Society, we’ll be finding out:
• How to cross roads safely
• About bicycle and road safety
• About people with restricted mobility
All of the work we are going to do has been specially written to help your child reach the learning goals. Children will be reading, researching, writing, illustrating, working on their own and working in groups. We will be checking to see how well your child has learned through particular activities and asking children to explain their work, perhaps to you.
We already know the interest you take in your child’s work. If you can, please discuss with your child the work they have done as the term progresses and let them teach you.
On Wednesday 20th March each class will be having a celebration of places around the world (and in this country) that children have visited. Please could you work with your child to help them create a short presentation on paper, a poster or on PowerPoint about one or more of the following ideas:
- A country/place they have travelled to.
- The oceans or seas they may have travelled across.
- The types of transport they used to reach their destination.
- The types of transport they used – or saw – in the country/place they were visiting.
By the end of the unit, we hope your child has achieved all of the learning targets. We hope they have had an enjoyable time in the classroom. And we hope you have enjoyed seeing your child work with enthusiasm. If you have any comments or questions about your child’s learning, please get in touch.
Thank you for your help and support,
Year 2 team.