Over the next 6 weeks those of us in Year 1 will be following a unit of work on a theme that focuses on ‘Movement and entertainment’.
This unit of work is part of the International Primary Curriculum. This new curriculum
sets out very clearly what children will learn – the learning goals – in three different areas:
1. The subjects of the curriculum. The learning goals for each of these subjects are at least as challenging as anything taught in the curriculum in your child’s own country. In many cases, the learning goals are more challenging.
2. Personal development – the characteristics which will help children become more responsible, independent learners.
3. International understanding – which will help children develop both a sense of the independence of their own country and culture and the interdependence between countries and cultures.
Each unit of work is based around specific targets derived from the learning goals for one or more of the subjects.
During this unit we will be focusing on Art, History, Science, Technology, Geography, Physical Education, Society, Music, ICT and International.
In Art, we’ll be finding out:
• How to draw faces and understand expressions
• About the work of artists who have painted pictures about the circus
In History, we’ll be finding out:
• What circuses were like in the past
• About some of the people who made circuses famous
• How circuses have changed over the years
In Science, we’ll be finding out:
• Which materials would make a waterproof tent
• Which materials to use for circus costumes
• About forces – pushes and pulls in circus acts
In Music, we’ll be finding out:
• About music for the circus
• How to compose and write rhythms and tunes about circus performers
In ICT, we’ll be finding out:
• How to make an audio book.
In RE we are:
- Looking at heroes. Who are our heroes and why.
In Maths we will be covering:
- Mental addition and subtraction.
- More or less to 100.
In English we will be looking at:
- Setting descriptions.
- Character descriptions.
- Fact pages.
- Non-chronological reports.