Deanshanger Primary School
Year 1 News – Term 2
Dear Parents and carers,
Over the next 8 weeks those of us in Year 1 will be following units which focus on ‘the things that people do’ and the forces of pushing and pulling.
During these units we will be focusing on Art, Geography, History, Music, Technology and Science.
The Christmas nativity we will be performing this term will be called ‘Christmas with the Aliens’. The dates are Monday 10th December at 1.45pm to OAPs and Tuesday 11th December at 2.30pm and 6.30pm. This will be performed alongside Year 2 – not only is this time a fantastic enjoyable learning experience but it is an opportunity to let children come out of their comfort zones and enjoy the art of performing. It is a very enjoyable experience and hope that you can make the dates of these.
In English, the children will be learning to:
• Write a diary entry for their job
• Write rules for their job including adding imperative verbs.
• Write a poem about pushing and pulling.
• Write a recipe for a Cooker show.
• Use Talk for Writing to help us write sentences.
In Maths, we’ll be finding out about:
• Number and place value.
• Position and direction.
• Mental addition and subtraction.
• Mental multiplication and division.
• Problem solving, reasoning and algebra.
In Art, we’ll be finding out:
• How to create a portrait of ourselves to show the things that we do
In Science, we’ll be ﬁnding out:
•About pushes and pulls
• How to change the speed of a moving object
• How we use our muscles to push and pull
• How water is a force that can move things
• How we can use air to push and pull objects
• How a magnetic force can push and pull
In Technology, we’ll be ﬁnding out:
• How to film a TV cookery show.
In Geography, we’ll be finding out:
• About the services and buildings in the local area
• How to create our own street map
We would like to kindly remind you that during Tuesday’s reading mornings we strongly advise that parents and carers remain with their children until 8.50am at which time the side door to Year 1 will be locked. If you are still reading with your child or children please exit the school building via the School office at 9.00am. The purpose of Tuesday’s reading morning is to read with your child or children and they should not be left unattended by parents or carers before 8.50am. The side door will be opened on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at 8.50am and locked at approximately 9.00am as usual. We thank you for your resilience and adaptability in this matter,
We also continue to try and read with your child daily. We know home life can sometimes get the better of us but just 10 minutes reading every day with your child can make a huge difference to their progress.
Abacus homework is now being set each week so be sure to log on and check this at https://www.activelearnprimary.co.uk. The children all have a user name and password in the password section of their home school diaries. These have also all been rechecked at school and all work. Please note that most of the Abacus games don’t usually work on an iPad or tablet and will need to be done on a laptop or computer.
Miss Brooks Mr Russell
Mrs Tolley-Goodger Mrs Kelsey